In this segment Dr. Curt Tribble articulates why he sought to develop a personal, practical framework for dealing with the inevitable setbacks, challenges and failures that can present in his line of work. Topics that Dr. Tribble touch upon include:
- Managing the possibilities and consequences of failure
- Honoring tough moments and difficult outcomes
- Implications for learning, teaching and performing Surgery
- Acknowledging and preparing for human factors in performance
- Staying present and perceptive on “every stitch”: How he clears his mind, and processes his emotions in real time
- The elements of his personal framework: Perform, feel fully, reflect, learn, share, remember, forgive, accept, and go forward with hope and belief.
Dr. Curt Tribble, MD, is a professor of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery at the University of Virginia School of Medicine.